Facts about tarantulas
Here’s some fun tarantula trivia you can use at your next dinner party. These fascinating arachnids are far
more interesting than most people realize. So sit back, relax, and enjoy!
- Female tarantulas can live up to 30 years, while males can reach 12 years.
- Some tarantulas can have legspans of 11+ inches.
- They can be found on every continent except Antarctica.
- Tarantulas don’t use spider webs to catch prey, they are ambush predators. They spin silk webs.
- Tarantula hawk wasps are their greatest enemy—a terrifying enemy indeed.
- Females sometimes kill and eat the male after copulation. Ouch!
- Females can guard their egg sacs for weeks on end, and have hundreds of babies.
- All tarantulas are carnivores.
- Tarantulas are both spiders and arachnids.
- Their venom is generally weaker than that of a honeybee’s.
- Males live much shorter lifespans than females.
- Tarantulas can regrow lost limbs after a molt.
- Tarantulas have eight eyes but their vision is weak—they rely much more on their sense of touch.